These women...



There are these women
And they are on my mind right at this moment

They are from south central LA, Inglewood, Compton, harlem, the favelas of rio, the slums of Soweto, the banlieus of paris

They sing blues like billie

Soulfully like etta

Spiritually like aretha and Shirley cesar

These women are on my mind right at this moment

they save their sweetest songs for Monday morning
While walking their kids to school

Or Sunday morning at church
Or Friday nights when their men have not come home…

These women work from can see in the morning to can’t see at night
They live hard, love sweetly, and sing strong and loud
but they’ll never make millions

because they are not as well connected as whitney

nor as cute as Mariah

nor as well dressed as whatever model you are currently idolizing

But I love these women

because they cradle and support me

They are me

And I am them

And they are on my mind right at this moment

Miko

RECOGNIZE GREAT BLACK ART!

SARAH (1942) BY WILLIAM H. JOHNSON